Patient One MediNutritionals
Multi-faceted botanical compound that supports healthy blood sugar metabolism, cardiovascular wellness, and GI health
- Promotes enhanced glucose and insulin metabolism
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Supports healthy metabolic function
- Promotes intestinal health
Berberine is a botanical compound found in plants including barberry, goldenseal, Oregon grape, and tree turmeric. Used in Ayurvedic and Chinese Medicine for hundreds of years, berberines diverse benefits and mechanisms of action are also supported in modern research. Its primary mechanism is its ability to activate the enzyme Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) while inhibiting Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase 1B (PTP1B).
Clinical evidence shows that Berberine may help to support and promote glucose and lipid metabolism. Berberine is also an anti-bacterial and it may help to protect the gastrointestinal system from infections. Further, it promotes cellular antioxidant defense and exhibits anti-inflammatory effects.
Patient One Berberine supplies 500 mg berberine HCl per capsule, the dosage used in clinical trials for glucose and lipid control.
- Berberine has been shown to lower total and LDL cholesterol among diabetic participants in several controlled trials.
- In controlled trials berberine reduced HbA1c levels in diabetic participants with comparable efficacy to metformin. Among participants with the metabolic syndrome berberine has been shown to reduce waist circumference and body weight, blood pressure, triglycerides, and improve insulin resistance compared to placebo, with similar benefits in women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
- A clinical trial comparing standard therapy with or without berberine among patients receiving percutaneous coronary intervention showed improvements in multiple inflammatory markers.
- Vuddanda PR, Chakraborty S, Singh S. Berberine: a potential phytochemical with multi spectrum therapeutic activities. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2010 Oct;19(10):1297-307. [PMID: 20836620]
- Yu HH, Kim KJ, Cha JD, et al. Antimicrobial activity of berberine alone and in combination with ampicillin or oxacillin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Med Food. 2005 Winter;8(4):454-61. [PMID: 16379555]
- Puertollano MA, Puertollano E, de Cienfuegos GÁ, et al. Dietary antioxidants: immunity and host defense. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011;11(14):1752-66. [PMID: 21506934]
- Zou K, Li Z, Zhang Y, Zhang HY, Li B, et al. Advances in the study of berberine and its derivatives: a focus on anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects in the digestive system. Acta Pharm Sinica. 2016. [advance online pub accessed 12.5.2016].
- Jayaprakasha GK, Girennavar B, Patil BS. Radical scavenging activities of Rio Red grapefruits and Sour orange fruit extracts in different in vitro model systems. Bioresour Techno. 2008 Jul;99(10):4484-94. [PMID: 17935981]
- Manthey JA. Biological properties of flavonoids pertaining to inflammation. Microcirculation. 2000;7(6 Pt 2):S29-34. [PMID: 11151968]
- Ye L, Liang S, Guo C, et al. Inhibition of M1 macrophage activation in adipose tissue by berberine improves insulin resistance. Life Sci. 2016 Dec 1;166-82-91.
- Zhang Y, Li X, Zou D, Liu W, Yang J, et al. Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes and Dyslipidemia with the Natural Plant Alkaloid Berberine.
Take 1 capsule 1-2 times daily as a dietary supplement, preferably with a meal or shortly after, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
Berberine Hcl ... 500mg
(from Indian Barberry extract) (Berberis aristata root)
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), l-leucine, rice flour
This product is free of milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors and preservatives.
This product is free of ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Consult doctor before use if taking any medications. If pregnant, nursing, or trying to conceive, do not use this product. Discontinue use and consult doctor if any adverse reactions occur.